The most effective treatment for a snake bite is conducted at the scene. This initial response is vital and can be the difference between life and death.
SSSAFE is an Occupational Health and Safety program designed to provide seminars directly to employees and employers on what to do and what not to do in the case of a snake sighting or snake bite.
We provide onsite training, advice and information as well as ongoing support to all clients.
The seminars provide practical and easily understood information and training on the specific safety concerns relating to Australia’s venomous snakes and spiders, including;
- safety awareness and preventative measures
- first aid treatment of snake and spider bites
- emergency response procedures
- snake and spider identification, habitat and behaviours
SSSAFE’s adage, learn to be calm, effective and in control, is reinforced through a combination of live snake and spider demonstrations, expert commentary and practical advice to make sure all SSSAFE attendees leave the seminar confident that they can react calmly and correctly if ever they find themselves in a life-threatening situation!
Seminars are tailored to suit individual industry requirements.
Snake Hazard Assessments and Reports
SSSAFE works in partnership with OH&S expert, Bridgesafe, to provide recommendations to inform company policy, procedures and safety guidelines including:
- Identification of on-site snake habitat zones and hot spots
- Site surveys for existing snakes that may require relocation
- Site specific remedial measures
- JSA's and Safe Work Method Statements
- Employer and employee legal responsibilities
- Mapping and Collation of Results
- OH&S Guidelines, Recommendations and Reports
Specialised Snake Handling
A professional two day course focussing on the safe handling techniques for the control and relocation of venomous snakes.
Participants are trained by industry adviser and SSSAFE Director, Craig Adams using the most up to date equipment and techniques, with the emphasis on safety at all times.
The course includes:
- Safe handling basics for capture and restraint
- Expert handling techniques, demonstration and theory
- Snake handling equipment, selection and use
- Exercising sound judgment and knowing when to walk away
This specialised training program is applicable to organisations where a legitimate safety requirement exists. Organisations that benefit from training include:
- Local government and statutory authorities - council rangers, sport and recreation officers and maintenance staff
- Industry - particularly mines in remote localities and those involved in road and rail construction
- Field ecologists and researchers
- Zoological institutions
- Fire, Rescue and other emergency services
- Law enforcement agencies, police, National Parks and customs officials involved in snake seizures
This specialist training is ONLY available to industry groups and professionals where it is identified there is a legitimate requirement for the safe relocation or capture of snakes.